Pages

Friday 9 August 2013

Copley to Halifax

My car (Freelander) needed a service and MOT, so this morning I took it to the Land Rover garage at Copley just outside of Halifax. Having dropped it off, I thought it would be a good idea to walk back into the town centre. Weather was OK, not too hot and didn't look as though it was going to rain, although there were some quite interesting black clouds passing over.
It was an interesting walk, it's not often these days you get the chance to have a real good look at what is around you, what with the busy lifestyles we lead. But I thought this morning I'd try and be more aware of my surroundings.
I've lived in the area of Halifax for the past 7 years and I've always been impressed with the style of the housing and the architecture of the town centre buildings. Some of the houses on Skircoat Green Road were amazing, the Victorian styles, utilising sand stone as the main building material and the immaculate gardens were brilliant. Even the pavements were paved York stone and really showed how affluent this area was back in the 19th Century.
Something I'd never noticed before was the statue of Albert, Prince Consort. in Albert Park. Albert Park is a small grassed area on Skircoat Road, just behind the Shay Stadium, the park was really well looked after and the flowered area and statue looked tremendous. As is was early and not having eaten at home I thought it would be a good thing to have breakfast in town.
The indoor market in the town centre has a very good stall that serves all-day breakfast. I'm sure my doctor would disagree with the make up of a full fry up, but I had just walked two miles from Copley so I think I deserved it.
As you enter the town centre one of the first buildings you see is the Victoria theatre, I've been to quite a few shows there over the years and the building looks very impressive sitting where it does at the intersection of Commercial street, Fountain street and Ward's End.

Breakfast was great, unfortunately the car failed its MOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment